San Francisco, CA, USA

Eating Well: Fried Rice

Last summer, while staying in Berlin, I ate the best fried rice in the world.

I'm not kidding. I did. And it was all thanks to my Airb&b (and now real life) friend Josh. One night, I was in bed, headed for a very early bedtime (such things happen when you begin drinking at noon every day). Suddenly, the most amazing smells began wafting into my bedroom. Given that I was a random person in my pajamas, and he clearly had company, I didn't go out to see if I could have any of whatever was cooking, but I did get into the leftovers the next day, with permission. And oh my goodness. Amazing. Hands down, the best fried rice I'd ever had.

I asked Josh to reveal his secrets, told him I'd be making fried rice basically every day once I returned to the states, and made very good on my promise. I've eaten more fried rice than anything else since I returned stateside at the end of August. The great thing about fried rice? It's really easy to make vegan, it's really easy to make period, and it can occur in endless variations based on what is around or in season. Plus? If you're eating on a budget and need something conveniently healthy and easy to transport to work, this is the perfect meal for you. It's saved my hide endless times in the last eight months.

I'm going to share an example of the basic formula I follow. Thanks Josh, for the inspiration!

First, assemble your ingredients:

Ingredients:

Rice (1-2 cups, depending on how much you want -- and cook it the day before!)
Shallots (2)
Green garlic (and/or regular garlic - at least 4 cloves, use as much as you want!)
Carrot (1)
Ginger (around a 1 inch piece)
Green/spring onions
Peas (frozen) (not shown)
Mushroom (I just used one here, but it was pretty big)
Toasted sesame oil
Soy sauce
Optional: red jalapeno or other hot pepper


Instructions:

Chop up all ingredients.

Using a wok or a pan, heat sesame oil.
Add all chopped veggies. Pan fry or wok fry - don't forget to stir!
When everything seems cooked (but not browned!), add rice.
Add soy sauce, then continue to fry, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Whenever you think it's done, it's done!
ENJOY. AND EAT FOREVER.

...yes, it really is that easy. And you will have leftovers for days.



0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)