San Francisco, CA, USA

The worst day.

Jeffy in 2009
And I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide...
—Sarah McLachlan
 
I wrote half of a post yesterday evening about how life was "continuing to plug along" and how worried we were about Jeffy, but also how hard we were working to take care of him, and how much I loved him and how grateful I've been for having the last week with him, and away from work. I mentioned that Scott and I both had to go to work today, and how concerned I was but also how I craved having a normal schedule, and besides that, maybe Jeffy was hanging in there.

I got distracted and never finished the post...

Because I knew he wasn't getting better, and I have been blessed and cursed with very good intuition.

I know that Scott would prefer I spare the details, at least right now, but all night last night I was a wreck. I couldn't even focus on cooking, or funny UK TV shows on Netflix. I was really worried about Jeffy, even more than usual, but I didn't voice all the doomsday feelings I was having, because it felt like paranoia brought on by PMS or something else that I use to make excuses for myself. We took him to the bed and placed him down on his heating pad just before midnight.

Just after midnight, Jeffy had a massive seizure and died in the bed, in Scott's arms.

Scott gave him a sponge bath, wrapped him in his favorite blanket, and set the blanket on the couch. We sat vigil with the blanket until this morning, when we drove to the Santa Cruz mountains in a terrible rainstorm (body in the backseat, along with his favorite toy mouse) and met the woman who would be cremating him (with mouse). It all feels terrible. It's terrible.

Zeke and Mogli are very out of sorts. They spent much of last night wandering around looking for Jeffy. When they found the wrapped up body on the couch, Mogli stood guard with it almost all night. I'm not even kidding. What an incredibly sweet cat he is. I can't even express how much it touches me that he did that. He had to be by the brother he loved so much. And Zeke was terrified ... he's better now, but they are both still sad, and there is a new order to be figured out in our little Pride. Jeffy was around for their entire lives; Jeffy and I grew up together; Jeffy and Scott were best friends. Ouch. This really, really hurts. We miss him so much already.

My body feels totally broken today. Pulled muscles from pilling Jeffy and syringe feeding him during the last week, coupled with no sleep last night (fact: I am apparently terrified of dead bodies being in my home, something I just discovered last night ... so much pointless anxiety) have left me wrecked. Tomorrow I go back to work and resume "normal life," whatever that means.

Jeffy, I will miss you for the rest of my life, and your daddy may never get over this. We love you.

8 Comments

  1. Oh Amber, this post broke my heart. I cry at the mere thought of something happening to my Charley, so to read about your loss just ... I can't even find the words. I know that you both loved Jeffy very, very much and you should feel happy and proud that you gave him such a wonderful life. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha!!! <3 We are feeling a bit better now, though we miss him SO much. Your words here mean so much to me. Fortunately we do know that we gave him a life worth bragging about -- after all, we were essentially his servants for so many years! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Amber,
    I recently gave up a few cats of mine for adoption. This entry of yours made me miss them so much. You've given him a wonderful life I'm sure, time shall heal and stay happy for Zeke & Mogli ya.

    Hugs & love from Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much. You do understand -- I can't imagine how that must feel!!!

      Delete
  3. Amber, I'm so sorry for your loss. What love you describe! Thinking of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man. that was rough. hate that you had to go through it but glad that you and scott have each other. it's hard no question. much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and I am so sorry for any triggers this triggered for you. *HUGS & LOVE*

      Delete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)