San Francisco, CA, USA

Eating Well: Springtime Brunch

Last weekend, on a sunny Saturday morning, I rolled out of bed fairly early, went to the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, loaded up on spring veggies, and headed to the loft to make a proper spring brunch. And it.was.amazing. How could it not be? There's nothing like the first veggies of spring. I am so excited to eat all the things as we ramp up into full summer produce madness, but for now, I am content enjoying the all too-fleeting tastes of spring. It's true, what they say: it goes so fast.



Basically, this is a brunch in two parts. Part one: broiled asparagus. This is so easy. If I was able to do it and not set off the smoke alarm (easy to do when broiling), then you can do it, too.

Broiled Asparagus

Ingredients:
1 bunch asparagus (local, organic -- ideally. What's the point of eating asparagus that isn't in season?)
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Instructions: 
Move oven rack to the uppermost position and set the broiler on low.
Coat asparagus in olive oil (get yer hands oily!).
Set on a oven safe baking sheet or broil pan covered in foil.
Salt & pepper liberally.
Broil and turn the baking sheet/broil pan every 3 minutes or so until asparagus is beginning to brown.
Don't be like me and let it burn on accident! 

Part two --

Potato Hash w/ spring vegetables

Ingredients:
1 pound potatoes (I used large fingerling potatoes)
1 bunch green garlic, diced
2-3 spring onion bulbs, diced (save green parts)
2-3 small carrots, diced
1 bunch pea shoots, chopped
Spring onion tops, diced
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Instructions:
Heat up your pan (medium heat)
Add olive oil.
Add potatoes.
When the potatoes are halfway done (make sure you're stirring occasionally), add carrots & onions.
When the onions & carrots have softened, add green garlic, pea shoots, salt & pepper (to taste).
Right before the potatoes are crispy and done, add the spring onion tops.

...and, of course, anything else that you'd like!


2 Comments

  1. So, I know that it would no longer be vegan, but I see all those fabulous veggies and potatoes and I think an egg with runny yolk would make it that much more heavenly.

    Cheese and eggs. They are why I fail at vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really stand eggs -- but I hear you on the cheese. OH DO I!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)