Cloud Encounters of the Cloud Kind

I've looked at clouds from both sides now,
from up and down, and still somehow
it's cloud illusions I recall.
I really don't know clouds at all
—Joni Mitchell | Both Sides Now

On Saturday night I had a photo gig on Gough & Bush Street, at the Gough Street Playhouse. My job was to shoot two sets by a local pirate band, The Boarding Party (yep, they do shanties, and they wear the full garb, but they are also all really talented).

Before I left the house I was in desperate need of pepping up. My usual tactic is to wear my happiness, so I put on a pair of cloud patterned tights I rediscovered recently in my storage unit:

Untitled

Yay, right? I headed out and encountered a million things trying to ruin the night for me before it even began: rude bus passengers, stopped traffic on Geary, a steep uphill walk in the freezing cold. When I finally reached The Gough Street Playhouse, I realized just how long it had been since I'd been to a real, working theatre. Growing up a theatre kid in high school, I was never far from those smells. The smell of a wood stage seems to smell the same as it did in high school. Is there one company that does all the theatre stages and makes them all smell the same? These are the things you ponder!

I walked into the main stage area, where The Boarding Party was just about ready to start. There wasn't a huge crowd, but for a threatre benefit/auction it was pretty good. It wasn't until after the band had started and I was fully immersed in photography that I happened to look down and see that ... that ....

MY TIGHTS MATCHED THE FLOOR!

Untitled

The current play running at the theatre, The Book of Liz, painted this floor with a cloud pattern. I cannot even express how awesome it was to wear my cloud tights out for the first time in something like 10 years and encounter this floor the very same night. Crazy, right?

Untitled

The show was really fun, and theatre people are just really awesome. I miss them.

Untitled

One crazy random thing: I ran into one of the professors I work for at my day job. Turns out he's the music director for the musical being staged at the theatre beginning in September! This is what I really love about Computer Scientists -- a LOT of them are also ridiculously talented at music. Since music is math-based I am not surprised, logically, but still .... it adds a depth of character to all of the computer scientists I know when the majority of them are making beautiful melodies & contributing to arts and science.

Untitled

So, to sum up: ART! Photography! Pirate band! Wenches (coming soon!) -- life is good.

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)