200 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA

Juicing

Untitled

I suppose I have to write about this now, because its starting tomorrow. What is? Our juice fast. Ten days of making and drinking only our own homemade veggie/fruit juices, and water of course. We've been planning this for a long time, ever since we watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead back in May. We're going to reboot our systems. Hopefully Scott's terrible systemic allergy problems will get a bit better. We just need to break the cycle, give our bodies a break, clean out all those fun toxins that build up over time.

What this is not: a crazy fast that will leave us lacking nutrition. We're not eating boiled cabbage, people! Our juices are packed full of kale, chard, spinach, apples, carrots, beets, ginger, that sort of stuff. The photo above is a picture of a juice I made for us a couple of weeks ago. It was really, really good, and really good for us, too. We're not doing something unhealthy or risky. Just to be clear. And we can drink as much juice as we want, so we're not restricting calorie intake. We're just rejiggering the delivery method.

What this is: scary. I have been thinking a lot about the role that food, and the preparation of food, plays in my life during these last few weeks. It actually scares me that I will have so much more "free time" when I am not a) eating, b) cooking, c) shopping for food, d) planning to cook or eat out somewhere. I fully imagine that a panic will set in, initially, and that I won't be able to do normal things like watch TV because of all the normal human food activities going on on it. I also will probably not be able to frequent Instagram (you can guess why ... yep, people constantly posting pictures of their food!). I know it gets better after 3-4 days, but honestly, I can't imagine that point yet from where I stand. I think the fear is healthy, so I won't deny having it. We're just hoping to be able to get out to Sunday Streets this weekend and not have to turn away due to the food smells/wanting to cry because of them. I think the odds are 50/50. Probably worse! Ha!

I very much want to say that this will be easy, but I know it won't be. Encouraging words are welcome! Please tell me if you've done this before and keep it real with me. Also? If you know me in real life, please stay away from me and don't be offended if I don't return your texts/emails/calls for a few days.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of food to eat between now & tomorrow morning ... 

4 Comments

  1. awe geez - good luck!!!! I bought a jack la lanne power juicer and $100 worth of organic fruits & veggies to kick start my juice cleanse and i lasted a whopping 48 hours. (Actually, I think it was under that). I think it is an unbelievably great thing to do for your body though. I would love to try it again but it is so HARD. I think the main problem I had was I didn't particularly love anything I made. Other than orange and apple juice :/ Would love if you posted some juicing recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will DEFINITELY post some juicing recipes -- that's a great way to keep me excited about it! Stay tuned :)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to start my days with a nice vegetable juice, but never get around to investing in a good juicer. My friend Shannon eats mostly juices/raw food and posts some good tips on her personal blog: http://sweatygirl.net/?s=juicing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME, thank you! And if you want a juicer recommendation at any point, we have a great one. Alida actually recommended it to me as its the one she recently used on her juice fast. And my mother-in-law bought the same model ... we're all loving it.

      Delete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)