San Francisco, CA 94107, USA

Hey, runners! Give me your opinion!

Hello internet! Happy Thursday! It's finally raining again in San Francisco after nearly three months of dry weather. I love sun and stargazing and all that, sure, but I also love things like not shocking everything I touch, or having the overwhelming static in the dry air make my hair fly out and stick to everything, or even—this is the worst—taking off a coat being a nightmare due to dry static-y air. No more! I feel like dancing in the streets to celebrate. Of course, it's wet and cold now <whine> </whine>.

Today Scott & I both worked very hard. In fact, he's still upstairs working, and I'm about to go out to my "second job" (a photography gig) that hopefully should still have me home by 10pm. We are so tired and looking forward to the weekend & all that jazz.

So yeah, that's about it over from this corner of the world. Except that today I surfed the internet (!):

Isn't this shirt awesome? Threadless is having a sale. Go, go now! I can't buy anything but I can look:
***

And yeah, so what, I've been browsing running shoes:

***
***


***
***


***


***

So here's the thing about running shoes: I am really, really broke. I can't really afford to spend anything on running shoes, yet I need a pair if I'm going to get through my 5k next month without injury. Running in my Saucony walking shoes has given me a lot of toe/joint/nerve pain in my left foot, and that isn't good. So here's what I have to ask you: what matters when choosing running shoes?

Does price/type matter? I'm a short person with large-ish flat, wide feet & I run really slow (jogging is really more like it, I have a 13 minute mile). I don't know whether price matters or whether it's all marketing, or whether certain brands are better for my feet than others. Help? Please?  

2 Comments

  1. Have you tried Run Jane Run in Noe? They're always closing something out. (like my favorite running bra of all time. :()

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could post paragraphs running sneakers. It's a hot topic in the running community - minimal vs. cushioning. I prefer something in the middle, like my New Balance WT101. Vibrams don't have enough support (hello foot fracture) and the Brooks you posted up there have too much support. You want to be able to feel the ground, but also have a slight cushion between you and the ground you're impacting.

    That being said, when I started running, I wore a pair of New Balance trainers that I got on sale at Marshalls for less than $30. You'll be perfectly fine with something similar. Find something comfortable and affordable, don't listen to the gimmicks.

    With any sport, it's only when you get into the high numbers (long distance), where equipment choice can matter. When that time comes for you, do your own research and decide what works best.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)