Berkeley, CA, USA

Three things I'm doing lately that keep me sane

This year has kept me on my toes so far, that's for sure. In many ways the last 6 months since my Saturn Return ended have been the most unpredictable, challenging & befuddling months of my life. So weird, right? I agree. Well, anyway, this week I decided to do something about it going forward. No more flailing! No more overthinking, if possible! So here are the great things I do to keep myself sane these days. Some of them are old favorites, but others are decisions I've made out of a desire to mix things up.

Untitled
spring / sprang/ sprung?
1) I want to run in Golden Gate Park every weekend. Last weekend's run was so awesome! I am bored with my neighborhood runs, to be honest, and I need to ramp things up before Bay to Breakers ... so yes, I feel very very inspired with this plan right now. There's no reason not to go to the park every weekend; even by public transit it's not THAT bad to get to and from. Also: running! And before you invite me with you on your run, this is kind of a solitary, mental refueling kind of thing -- I want to be alone!

2) This week I've been taking advantage of the time change and a briefly slower schedule and have been walking home from BART instead of taking the train. It's about a mile, and it's a habit I've gotten out of over time. I must admit, it's been really great in every way. I get to walk, which I love, and I get to breathe in the fresh air, and connect with my surroundings. I take my time, as well (the proper way for me to say this is probably "I force myself to take my time") ... which is also really good for me. Baseball season starts on Monday (sob) so I forsee a lot of walking in my near future.

3) I'm working from home tomorrow & have the day off on Friday, so I'm planning on doing a bunch of things that are really good for me that I don't get to indulge in enough: sleeping, reading books, hanging out at a park near my house, enjoying the sunshine & going on day runs. This could not come at a better time: I really need to mentally refocus and recharge. I ended up in my local park, South Park, yesterday afternoon because I didn't want to go home yet, and it ended up being a really great experience. I'm going to make a point to hang out there and at other parks more frequently. So often I just end up sitting inside at home when I could be outside in the sunshine and grass and flowers, enjoying the world. I've been feeling a need to unplug a bit recently, too, so I'm sure the two are related.

Untitled
The view from the afternoon

I feel good about all of this! Really good, actually. What do you do to shake things up? 

0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)