San Francisco, CA, USA

Snapshots from a happy life

Well, we've gotten through the first week of the new year (work wise, anyway). I'm exhausted, and this morning I woke at 5:30 thinking I couldn't possibly survive another day like that. Thank goodness tomorrow is Saturday ... keeping to a regular schedule like this ain't easy, particularly when I really need 8 hours of sleep per night in order to be able to run the next day, but I've resolved to stay healthy & responsible this year. I can't justify being irresponsible and sending myself down the path of ill health anymore. I wish I could say that this is because I'm totally grown up and responsible now, but it's more that I don't have ANY vacation time at work and I need to save up for a trip to Germany in August...so I can't afford to miss work pretty much ever again. See? I'm still the selfish Amber you know and love.

Anyway. In other news, I'm embarking on a quest that seems quite unlike me ... quite unlike the post-high school Amber, anyway: I want to see all of the films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars this year, before the Oscars. I have about 5 weeks to do this, and it's quite unfortunate that only one of the nominated films is out on DVD. All of the others just came out in the theater. It doesn't usually happen this way, right? At any rate, last night we started this journey by watching Beasts of the Southern Wild, which is available to rent and was, as advertised, beautiful and heartbreaking. This morning I'm making a spreadsheet of where all of the other nominated films are playing in SF, when and the price of a ticket. I am so broke, I don't know how we're going to manage this ... but I'm definitely going to give it a good try.

If anyone knows how I can get really cheap movie tickets, or even screening copies of these movies ... I would really, really love to get my hands on either one. 

And on that note ... here are some of my favorite snapshots from the last week of life.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

1. 19th & Judah, waiting for a train after running a 10k
2. Looking out at the north bay from the Berkeley Hills
3. Magnolia tree in full bloom
4. Running into the sun, but not running behind
5. Houseboats near my house
6. Pretty winter campus where I work
7. Sunrise plus a crescent moon
8. Sunrise plus a lamppost
9. Tofu scramble from last weekend

Happy Friday!

2 Comments

  1. So. Weird. I just watched Beasts of the Southern Wild last night for the first time TOO! Psychic connection! I liked it, but the handheld camerawork seriously made me feel nauseous about 30min into the movie. I thought I was coming down with the flu. Then I realized I only started feeling sick when I started the movie, and sure enough, within 30min of finishing it, I felt better. WEIRD. But worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're okay with "illegal" screening, here's a site we use ALL the time - http://www.movie2k.to/

    of course, don't download anything. We always stream them using either Putlocker or Sockshare as the hosts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)