San Francisco, CA, USA

Radvent Day 19: Speaking

Irony is: writing about "speaking" when I've lost my voice again. My poor larynx.

Untitled
Silenced again! Worst. Larynx. Ever.
I could go on and on about my larynx, which just can't seem to catch a break ... but I won't.

I do have a couple of interesting items to mention regarding this topic.

Say what you’ve been meaning to say.

Today I'm going to tell someone how much I want to be in their life again (after essentially being absent for the last few months). I'm going to tell someone else how much I want to shoot their show again. And I'm going to tell a third person my reservations about becoming involved with their show again. People deserve to know what I'm thinking; silence isn't always golden.

Think about the way you use language.
I was thinking yesterday on the bus about how I want my words to be more intentional in 2013. I have a  habit of blathering on about everything and anything, and I want my words to be more meaningful and purposeful next year. I know there's probably only so much I can stem the tide of my babbling, but as I am so fond of mentioning ... if I don't try, I'll never know what I'm capable of.

Of course, now that I've said that, I don't want to say any more, because once I start going down that road, almost all communication seems frivolous.

Add something to your vocabulary.

I checked my email right after reading this to find a truly bizarre word of the day. I've subscribed to the Dictionary.com word of the day for ... it seems like the better part of 15 years, though I'm not really sure if that's true or not. Anyway, sometimes it's more useful, and sometimes it's ... not. Today's word could go either way, actually, so I guess that's a good thing (and also ... up to me).

Today's word of the day is a linguistics term: antepenultimate.

Word of the Day for Friday, December 28, 2012
antepenultimate \an-tee-pi-NUHL-tuh-mit\, adjective:
1. Third from the end.
2. Of or pertaining to an antepenult.
noun:
1. An antepenult.


When I looked up "antepenultimate" online, I eventually got to some more interesting information: In linguistics, the ultima is the last syllable of a word, the penult is the next-to-last syllable, and the antepenult is third-from-last syllable. In a word of three syllables, the names of the syllables are antepenult-penult-ultima." (Souce: Wikipedia).

So there you have it. The more you know?


♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥

I'm participating in Radvent this year via the ever-awesome Princess Lasertron, and you should too!

2 Comments

  1. I just stumbled on your blog via a comment you made on Cute & Delicious. I looked at your about page and you had me at, vegan, science fiction, travel, sunshine and cats! Okay, I digress. I just get excited when I stumble on blogs of fellow vegans, cat lovers and just who love life as much as I.

    I really really love what you said about silence. I just talked about this topic to someone the other day. I understand times when silence is good because it let's us hone in on our listening skills. Yet, I find it's so important to be honest with ourselves and others and often to do that we have to speak on it.

    I love your add something to your vocabulary mention. When I worked for a library they were going to toss a HUGE and new dictionary just because the spine didn't have the best glue to keep the pages in tact over time. I said, I want it!! I wanted to learn a word a day. I haven't gotten into that habit yet but your post has definitely encouraged me!

    Thanks for a great post and I look forward to checking out the rest of your blog!

    Cheers, Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have left me so many AMAZING comments! I will try to spend some time at the computer very soon so that I can reply to all of them and leave some on your blog too :D :D :D :D Thank you for reaching out! It made my week!

      Delete

Contact Form (Do not remove it)