San Francisco, CA, USA

Happy Friday!

the picture of tired // on BART yesterday afternoon
I really meant to blog every day this week, but the week was intense. An emotional and physical commitment in every way. I am so ready for this weekend, I can't even express how much! It will be very busy as usual, but next week is THANKSGIVING!!! and I only have to work 2.5 days next week (YESSSSSSS) and that, my friends, is pretty much the most wonderful thing in the world, is it not?

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays (as I think I mentioned last year). Spending it with family is very important to me, and last year's Thanksgiving was wonderful because we got to spend it up with my mom in Beaverton. But we're not going to be spending holidays with family for the forseable future unless they come to us, both due to Jeffy and due to financial concerns, so for now we're flying solo with celebrations. That doesn't scare me ... we've done it before. So at this point, you may or may not be asking: what are we doing for Thanksgiving this year?

"everything but the bird" basket
Well, we're doing something actually fun and exciting, and I won't have to think of recipes and go spend a hundred dollars at Whole Foods on Thanksgiving Day making it up as I go! This is typically how Thanksgiving goes for us, so I am thrilled. Last night I purchased the "Everything but the bird" CUESA  market basket, which includes tons of veggies & nuts and stuff along with four recipes from four of the bay area's most esteemed chefs (including Alice Waters, who I respect so much but whose restaurant, Chez Panisse, I can't afford to visit).

I am so excited to pick up all this gorgeous food at a special Wednesday farmers market next week, and come home and make all of the delicious dishes! I am even making an exception from my general life rule and have agreed to cook one of my arch-nemeses, the dreaded butternut squash. Once it's cut in half, peeled and cubed it's no problem, of course, but hence the problem: the peeling and cutting and cubing. Anyone want to come over and do this for me? You can stay for dinner ... or if you have any tips on how to peel a butternut squash, as my peelers aren't strong enough to do that, please let me know.

Other than all this food, we'll probably sit around inside the house and play games, watch football ... oh yeah, and I'm running a 5k on Thanksgiving morning (a Turkey Trot!). Yay. It's going to be a great holiday. Hopefully napping will be involved as well. We're just going to take it easy. And under no circumstances will we be going out and engaging in any of the shenanigans on Black Friday. Things like Black Friday make me think our society has lost its humanity...plus, we're not doing gifts this year, so it seems even more gluttonous from a perspective of "we have everything we need."

I hope no one gets stabbed or trampled this year, OK? Is that enough?

What are you doing for Thanksgiving? This weekend? Tonight, I sleep....


0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)